Welcome back! I hope you all enjoyed your time off last week.
A few reminders:
- Six Flags reading logs are due Monday, Feb. 26th!
- February break reading challenge sheets are due Wednesday, Feb. 28th.
- The 3rd grade musical will be Thursday, March 29th. Save this date so your child can come back that night and perform with us! Your child can practice the songs on Dr. Champion's blog here. Solo auditions are this week during music class.
- Firehouse Subs night is this Tuesday...YUM!
- Scholastic Book orders are due this Wednesday. You can order online at www.scholastic.com Our class code is P2Y3C.
- Please continue practicing multiplication facts. We will continue with weekly timed tests. If your child isn't sure which set he or she should be practicing, just ask!
Here's a look at our learning this week:
In social studies, we will continue learning about the Thirteen Colonies. We will focus on the Southern Colonies this week.
In reading, we will begin a unit on understanding literal and non-literal language. We will use context clues to determine the meaning of words and phrases. Throughout this unit, we will learn about idioms, similes, metaphors, and hyperbole, just to name a few.
In math, we will continue with graphing and line plots. We will also work on measuring with a ruler. Your child should be able to measure to the nearest quarter inch. This is a tough skill! If you have a ruler at home, I encourage you to practice measuring items. We also have some measurement games on our blog here. And here's a video that helps with ruler measurement:
In writing, we will be working on narratives. We will focus on adding dialogue and details to make our stories more interesting. We will also work on how to correctly punctuate a sentence with quotations and commas.
Here is the rubric we will be using to score our narratives.
We will visit the Science Lab this week on Tuesday.
We will have a lesson from WellStar called Temper Tamers on Tuesday as well.
Please let me or Mrs. Keith know if you have any questions or concerns!
Have a GREAT week!